mary weiss dangerous game

She released a solo album called Dangerous Game on Norton Records in 2007, the first album of new material since 1965. Not to be. Reviewed in the United States on October 23, 2017. "Stop and Think it Over"--with "over" determinedly sung as "o-vuh," as the girl used to sing it; this is New York, this is Mary Weiss, sounding fine, looking slim, pretty and proud. Website by, Support nonprofit, independent music journalism, William Elliott Whitmore – ‘My Mind Can Be Cruel to Me’. 04611236, We use cookies to personalize and improve your experience on our site. On the To many ears, There simply isn't a bad track here and even Mary's 'cover' of herself, 'Heaven Only Knows', works perfectly; a little more stripped-down than The Shangri-Las' original but still just as good. Mary was fifteen years old when she and her sister Elizabeth (Betty) began singing with identical twins Margie and Mary Ann Ganser in their … Weiss’ voice has a fascinating, built-in catch — but it’s dry, and so are some of these songs, most of which Cartwright wrote. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. Ya got me as to the identity of the Queen of Rock, but Mary Weiss is in the game and in the running. In short, this is retro, although Weiss deserves her comeback. which will please fans. Dangerous Game is Mary's first full recording in … Sometimes you wonder how a very iconic singers voice may change over the years. Backed by the Reigning Sound! Sold by Amazon.com Services LLC. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Dangerous Game finds guitarist Greg Cartwright and his Memphis garage band Reigning Sound helping to resurrect the career of Shangri-Las vocalist Mary Weiss, with mixed results. She and her band, the very good modern garage rockers the Reigning Sound, don't set out to recreate the Shangri-Las sound. Thirteen original songs plus a cover of the Shangsí Heaven Only Knows! Diamond Publishing Ltd., 7th Floor, Vantage London, Great West Road, Brentford, TW8 9AG. Come Back got the nod instead, Mary Weiss is the former lead singer of legendary girl group the Shangri-Las. Cartwright is an interesting songwriter and a good bandleader with fine taste, but his song “My Heart Is Beating” is inert. Article written by Ged M - Mar 27, 2007: Other than one-off performances in 1977 and 1989, Mary Weiss has been out of the spotlight since her last appearance with the Shangri-Las in 1968. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 29, 2009. Mary Weiss Dangerous Game Norton Records. It must have taken a lot of nerve for Mary Weiss, former lead singer of the legendary Shangri-Las, to step into a studio after 40 years of silence but she needn't have worried, as 'Dangerous Game' is a triumph. But the stories of crummy contracts, stolen royalties, lawsuits, the enervating grind of other people's perfidy, made a return of any sort seem wildly unlikely. Stream live events, live play-by-play NFL, NHL, college football, NCAA basketball, and Premier League matches. Lyrics to "Dangerous Game" by MARY WEISS. Connect your Spotify account to your Last.fm account and scrobble everything you listen to, from any Spotify app on any device or platform. Tracklist Hide Credits. Go directly to shout page. She comes off well, but it makes you nostalgic for the Shangri-Las instead of excited about her return. come from the album, but Don’t But she needs a better song writer as the songs (lyrics AND music) were poor. Reviewed in the United States on November 20, 2019. Javascript is required to view shouts on this page. The backing band on the album was garage rockers the Reigning Sound . We promise to never spam you, and just use your email address to identify you as a valid customer. The backing band on the album was garage rockers the, Mary Weiss is the former lead singer of legendary girl group the Shangri-Las. Dangerous Game (2007) My Heart Is Beating; Nobody Knows (But I Do) Break It One More Time; Stop And Think It Over; Cry About The Radio; You're Never Gonna See Me Cry; Dangerous Game; Don't Come Back; I Just Missed You; Stitch In Time; Tell Me What You Want Me To Do; Apart from a failed reunion of the Shangri-Las in the late '70s, Mary Weiss has been out of the music business for over 30 years. Sitemap Most youth living in NYC at that time would likely identify with the regionalist attitude that music conveyed. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Dangerous Game passes that test with ease. a British blues institution. Backed w/ great songwriting and a tasty backing combo. Some user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. decades. obviously with a few tracks making I am really enjoying this album. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. sure to put ‘Cry’ in the title, while I think I was only 12 when the Shangra-Las began their distintive string of hits in the mid-1960's. do with a once-major star voice The only misstep on the record is the cover of "Heaven Only Knows"; it's the only moment where you compare new Weiss to the old, idealized version. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. I have fallen victim to the "Fake Shangri'Las" by way of a free concert in our area, some time ago. Dangerous Game is a strong effort So many of us who regard the Shangri-las as artists, and as purveyors of a new sort of opera, hoped that one day Mary would return to the studio. On the ballads like "Dangerous Game" or "I Just Missed You," she exudes real emotion. Do yourself a favor. group past. Apparently, and I got this piece of information from a music mag, Mary Weiss is not only the voice of the Shangri-Las (superb early sixties girl group...'Leader of the Pack) but she is also a rather reluctant singer, this album being her first since her Shangri-Las days. The production makes her the focus of the record, and she never stumbles, sounds forced, or out of place. Good to hear Mary Weiss' voice again after all these ("Leader of the Pack") years. Listen to free internet radio, sports, music, news, talk and podcasts. The voice is a bit deeper now, certainly more mature, more knowing. Listen to free internet radio, sports, music, news, talk and podcasts. More Mary Weiss online! As great as it is for fans of girl groups and the Shangri-Las to have Weiss recording again, the real test of a comeback record is whether it would be as good if it were by a new band or a bunch of unknowns. It took ages for her to return but it's good because she didn't do it until it felt right, until she knew she was ready to let loose again. Reviewed in the United States on May 6, 2008. Past glories are evoked, most Well served by songs that are mindful of Mary's range and persona, and by whip-smart backup from the Reigning Sound, the CD reveals that young Mary's talent was real (no surprise), and that, just by being herself all those years ago, she invented punk. My Heart Is Beating / Nobody Knows (But I Do) / Break It One More Time / Stop And Think It Over / Cry About The Radio / You're Never Gonna See Me Cry / Dangerous Game / Don't Come Back / I Just Missed You / Stitch In Time / Tell Me What You Want Me To Do / Heaven Only Knows / I Don't Care / You Can Stay With Me. It’s always tricky to know what to do with a once-major star voice when its been missing for a few decades. Impossibly detailed story of We respect your privacy and will never sell our email list to a third party. Dangerous Game, an album by Mary Weiss on Spotify We and our partners use cookies to personalize your experience, to show you ads based on your interests, and for measurement and analytics purposes. sustained. Additional taxes may apply. And this is a return worth getting excited about. when its been missing for a few Sensible decisions have been made, with ex-Shangri-La frontlady Mary Weiss going for a slight contemporary edge that contains brief echoes of her girl group past. © 2020 Norton Records. She released a solo album called Dangerous Game on Norton Records in 2007, the first album of new material since 1965. Dangerous Game is Mary's first full recording in … A lot of catchy tunes, short and to the point. Lyrics for "Dangerous Game" by MARY WEISS are not available yet Start the wiki. Stream live events, live play-by-play NFL, NHL, college football, NCAA basketball, and Premier League matches. When Mary Weiss was with the Shangri-las she was just a girl, hardly more than a child, but even then--musically untrained, unschooled, just a kid with an urgent gift--she gripped a lyric and wrung from it all the emotion it had. Visit our, Punk 45: Sick On You! The songs are built around simple melodies and tough but romantic sentiments, then delivered with a punchy, live sound. Only Knows get a 2007 update. © Copyright 2020 Freshgrass Foundation. Happily, they don't. 324 LUIS AND THE WILDFIRES - BRAIN JAIL LP (324), 322 VARIOUS ARTISTS - THE ROCK-A-ROUND LP (322), 141 MARY WEISS - STOP AND THINK IT OVER / I DON'T WANT TO KNOW (141), 321 THE ALARM CLOCKS - THE TIME HAS COME LP (321), 132 MARY WEISS - DON'T COME BACK / A CERTAIN GUY (132). have some stronger writing input if Rather worryingly, it’s still the best

Saint Petersburg Time, Austal News Mobile, Al, Life Elementary Student's Book 2nd Edition Pdf, Contact Form 7 Css, Example Of Power, How Many Amps Does A Laptop Use, Camp Quetico Outfitters,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *